The mission of the Ray Festa Melanoma Foundation (RFMF) is to educate everyone ages 12 and older on the importance of early detection and prevention of melanoma. This serious form of skin cancer afflicts 1 in 150 people each year and accounts for about 48,000 deaths per year. While supporting this most critical undertaking, the RFMF will sponsor community-based efforts including activities and initiatives that foster community gathering and contribute to the development of young people through sports and education.
To Deliver on Our Mission we will:
- Educate everyone on the importance of regular skin cancer screenings and taking steps to prevent melanoma
- Institute programs targeting people 12 years old and older
- Engage community leaders in our cause
- Establish local HS chapters focused on skin cancer and in particular melanoma awareness and prevention
- Establish relationships with corporate charitable foundations whose giving strategies are aligned with our mission.
- Create alliances with appropriate sports properties and educational organizations to further the education and support for skin cancer prevention
- Support the restoration and/or development of public neighborhood sports, entertainment, and cultural facilities.
- Support the restoration and/or development of student gathering places.
- Provide educational assistance to deserving Montclair High School students.